How is the showcase judged?
Here is the complete showcase process:
- How We’ll Judge: Members of the 826 Network will review all submissions to determine finalists and honorable mentions for three different grade bands: grades 1-5, 6-8, and 9-12.
- Timeline: Submission review will commence from April-May 2023. Winners will be notified in May 2023.
- Showcase Updates: We will make showcase updates and announcements on social media and our email newsletter! Head to 826digital.com to subscribe or stay in the know!
- Submission Categories: All genres (poems, essays, short stories, etc.) are welcome.
- Contact: You may always reach us with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
How will my video be used?
We love using writing from young authors as mentor texts to inspire students around the world. If selected, in addition to sharing your video on 826 National channels, your video could be used in the following ways:
- 826 Digital lessons and resources to support different styles of learning
- education partner channels (like The Achievery by AT&T)
Do I need a cover letter?
Nope, but we’d love to learn more about you and ask that you share a 3-4 sentence author bio with us!
Here’s an example of a bio from an 826 student:
“When he isn’t writing, Julian likes to play his Puerto Rican cuatro and his guitar. He hopes that his poem inspires people to use their imaginations. He strongly believes that people should speak their minds and worry less about social pressure.”
Rights and Technical FAQ
Do I retain rights to my submitted video(s)?
The terms and conditions of the showcase give 826 National and 826 Digital non-exclusive rights to use, publish, and reproduce the submitted works. This means that you may still publish your work elsewhere, and we have no claim on royalties associated with those other publications.
If your submission is selected we will send you additional information.
Can I publish my poem, essay, or short story in print after submitting a reading?
We encourage you to share your words, whether new or old, with other publishers and let us know if you’ve been published additionally by contacting email@example.com!
May I submit my video if it’s on another website/YouTube channel?
While we accept previously published footage, please confirm with other publishers that they don’t have exclusive rights to your work or restrictions on the usage of the video.
Will you publish my video even if I don’t win? Would I get royalties?
We may publish or publicize additional submissions, beyond 10 winners, through our 826 network. Submissions will not be used for commercial purposes and 826 National does not issue royalties for selected entries.
Please review our Informed Consent and License Agreement: https://tinyurl.com/826submit
I’m late! Will you still accept my entry?
Unfortunately, we do not accept any late submissions.
Can I submit via email/outside of the SUBMISSION FORM?
Unfortunately, we do not accept any submissions that aren’t submitted through the SUBMISSION FORM.
Can I withdraw my submission/entry?
Yes! Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org should you no longer wish to be considered for the 826 Digital Writers’ Showcase.
I’m having trouble uploading a file/with some other aspect of SUBMISSION FORM.
You can contact 826 Digital for support at email@example.com